Skip to main content

Revenge travel

        The anxiety is here, once again, of going alone, to an unknown place. In the cold winter night of December, I was waiting at the pick up point of my bus to Diu. As always I was much earlier than the departure time for the ambitious getaway break during Christmas weekend. Anyway It felt good to have a night out which is rare for me.

        I guess the amount of coverage given to revenge travel this year stirred my subconscious & out of nowhere came an idea to book a short trip. Anyway there was no scope of going for more than 2-3 days remembering the past experience of going solo so I settled for a weekend getaway to Mumbai. And to add some zing to it, I booked a return flight. So here the idea was to add the thrill of my first flight in the weekend pleasure tour.

        Sadly I cancelled the Mumbai tour when I realized that for 2 hours of air travel I would have to leave home 2 hours before departure time & that too for a 2 days trip. But the subconscious was shouting for revenge as another year of my life was about to end so I settled for a nearer beach & also the one inside the state to avoid Corona check ups etc.

         The decision of night travel in bus was regretted whole night. I was sleepless the whole night but the excitement of a picnic at sea got me through. Visiting seaside was just right in the chilly December days.

         The morning was good, a bike was hired & driven straight to the hotel for the morning rituals including tea & breakfast. Early check-in couldn't be possible as all the rooms were packed with revengeful tourists like me. The time was already ahead of 9.15 & the regular market was alive & kicking. My brain cells were ready to deal with the dynamics of the market after heavy breakfast & tea.

Diu Fort

So first of all I headed to the Diu fort which was the closest attraction from my hotel & seemed perfect to utilize the waiting period before check-in time.   

                        The fort is very well designed & well placed to protect Diu from intruders & in today's world serves a picture perfect site for tourists. I found a quite spot inside the fort area, sat on the rocks & enjoyed the calm & composed music of the waves. 

Thereafter I roamed all around the fort & captured some beautiful photos with the background of the Arabian Sea. That completed the first morning in Diu as I returned to check in the hotel.

                So after bath I started for Nagoa beach which is very famous among the tourists for its Palm trees, white sand & water sports. The bike ride becomes delightful as you approach the beach & the road runs parallel to the Sea. The beach was vast & attractive but the crowd was much more than my liking so I went for lunch in the company of the black dog. Afternoon was a non event as I went back to the hotel & had a nap to compensate for the sleepless night yesterday.

                 Search for the afternoon tea took me to the Diu fort once again. Evening trip started with a view of St. Paul church from outside as it was closed for visit. Next destination was INS Khukri which is a war memorial but its also a place to experience an enchanting Sunset. It takes a long walk to reach the beach area here but its totally worth the effort.

          So after a nice sleep in the costly hotel came Sunday morning & I was out to make the best of the last day in Diu. A rickshaw took me to the very beautiful Ghoghla beach which is undoubtedly the best beach of Diu. The calm & clean beach made my morning delightful & added more points to the trip score.

Ghoghla beach

          Rest of the day had nothing to contribute to the holiday score so a glimpse of the blissful waves will be ending the story here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wet lands & Warm Vibes..

Lost in the labyrinth of the equity derivatives, I forgot to plan the Diwali vacation this year & got infinitely bored in the Diwali week. Anyway, it was over somehow & it was time to plan the Winter vacation. Being in my forties, these days I worry more about time than about bank balance. So a new tour operator & a new corner of India was selected for the winter vacation. Overnight journey by connecting flights was a terrible decision & the night spent at the airport has been stored in my memory for use whenever I may need to act miserable. The sleepless night was too slow to step aside & let us begin our journey to Kaziranga national park. Day 1 - Kaziranga Jeep Safari Kaziranga Jeep Safari Meghalaya literally means 'abode of clouds' & the clouds were ready to welcome us on the very first outing of the trip. There was no sign of rains on our journey to Kaziranga & so my raincoat stayed in the hotel just like the animals stayed away in their homes l...

in the God's own country..

          The quarterly alarm started ringing in my head from the beginning of September as 3 months had elapsed since my last tour of Goa & as per my personal new normal, a holiday was due. So after exploring all the suitable options, a package tour of Kerala offered by Yatra was booked.           The selection was done due to the variety of attractions available in the same trip - hill station of Munnar, Jungle safari at Thekkady, beach at Alleppey. This was my first experience of a package tour which was quite pleasant especially as all the daytime transportations were included - there was no night life to go for anyway. Day 1 - Kochi to Munnar                          About 100 km drive on narrow roads surrounded completely by trees takes you to Munnar from Kochi airport. As you get closer to Munnar, hills with tea plantations add to the beauty of the scenic ro...

Valley of the Gods via Queen of the hills

May the month of May never come again is the wish we make every year & yet it does come back with seemingly more power. The power we know we can only hide from - behind walls cooled by ACs/coolers or inside airconditioned cars. Staying out becomes bare minimum to save our skin but there comes a point when we miss the feel of the outside world & that makes an excellent excuse for a trip to a cool hill station. The wanderlust in me has become so overpowering that having no savings at all couldn't stop me from planning a summer escape away from the scorching heat. After the dull group tour of White desert, costly disappointment of Nainital-Corbett solo tour & distressing Jaisalmer group tour, I was extra cautious to avoid any fiasco this year. So the professional help & doubling of the budget was the right decision after all as the trip turned out to be a memorable one. May 7-9, 2025 Mock drills were the talk of the town all day & it was obviously the day one of re...